Amazon river flows in South America covering many countries. Amazon River is the world’s second-longest river after the river Nile in Africa. Amazon river is the largest river in the world by discharge volume of water. This article will provide some interesting insights into the Amazon river.
The source of the Amazon river is Río Apurimac, Mismi Peak located in the Arequipa region of Peru. In the recent past, a new study has mentioned that the Mantaro River in southwestern Peru is the true source of the Amazon river.
Amazon River – Discharge
- Amazon river discharge is greater than the next seven largest independent rivers combined.
- 20% of the global riverine discharge into oceans is from the Amazon river alone.
- The Amazon river discharges into the Atlantic Ocean.
Amazon River Basin
- The Amazon river basin is the part of South America drained by the Amazon River and its tributaries.
- The largest drainage basin in the world is that of the Amazon river.
- The Amazon drainage basin covers around 35.5 per cent of the South American continent.
- The Amazon river basin covers many South American countries such as Venezuela, Suriname, Peru, Guyana, Brazil, Ecuador, Colombia, and Bolivia.
- Most of the Amazon river basin is covered by rainforest.
- The Amazon rainforest is the largest rainforest in the world. It is a dense tropical forest having an area of 5.5 million square km.
- The Amazon river basin stretches from the Brazilian Highlands in the south to the Guiana Highlands in the north.
- Drainage System of India [UPSC Geography Notes]
- World’s Longest Rivers – List of Major Rivers For General Awareness
- What is the Amazon basin?
- The Amazon River Basin Lies Between?
- Amazon Rainforest: Geographical Facts for UPSC
- Length of Indian Rivers and Major River Systems
- National River of India – Ganga River Facts for UPSC
- What are the Parts of a River Called?